Lifestyle has a significant impact on good skin health. To prevent skin irritation, the first thing to do is get enough sleep and avoid stress. A healthy diet and good hygiene measures are also essential.
It is known that sweat, friction with a garment or prolonged exposure to certain agents can also cause skin irritation . All this gives rise to what is popularly known as ‘escocedura’ and which is technically called ‘excoriación’.
Most commonly, skin irritation manifests with redness, swelling, and sometimes pain and / or itching . Those discomforts are more intense in those people who have sensitive or delicate skin. It is also very common for the skin to become dry and it loses its barrier function.
Skin and irritation
The skin acts as an interface between the human body and the external environment . It is made up of three layers: epidermis, dermis and hypodermis. The three work together to perform the functions of the skin, which are:
- Protection : acts as a protective barrier against trauma, toxic agents, radiation and microorganisms, among others.
- Sensation : it is the organ of the sense of touch .
- Biosynthesis : with the use of sunlight, it converts some substances into vitamin D , for example.
- Immunity : can induce immune responses.
- Homeostasis : balances the exchange of substances with the environment and helps regulate temperature.
A skin rash that is nonspecific is called a skin irritation . This means that it does not always have the same causes and does not produce the same manifestations. Anyway, clinical evidence indicates that it basically generates redness and inflammation and, only rarely, itching. It should not be confused with an allergic reaction.
Main causes of skin irritation
There are many factors and agents that can cause skin irritation . Among the most frequent are the following:
- Cleaning products : some soaps or laundry detergents cause skin irritation in sensitive people.
- Cosmetics : sometimes, they have the same effect as toiletries.
- The sun: solar radiation irritates the skin and, when it damages it, also makes it more sensitive to other irritating agents.
- Sweat : the moisture generated by sweat could irritate the skin, especially if it is accompanied by some friction, as occurs in the feet with footwear.
- Textiles or fabrics : Some synthetic fibers cause skin irritation in certain people.
- Xerosis – This is a condition that makes the skin drier and weaker, and therefore predisposes to irritation. Likewise, it generates itching, this causes scratching and leads to skin irritation.
- Atopic dermatitis : This problem leads to the skin being more permeable to irritating agents.
- Allergies : Skin irritation is a frequent symptom in allergic reactions.
- Chemical substances .
Measures to prevent skin irritation
Proper hygiene guidelines are essential to prevent skin irritation . If you have delicate skin, it is best to use a medicated or neutral soap. The same applies to shampoo, bath gels and similar products. It is important that they are not abrasive and that they have low delipidifying power.
Likewise, it is more convenient for you to take a shower, instead of taking a bath. Drying the skin is as important as bathing . Use a cotton towel and don’t rub your skin; you can rather dry yourself with small taps. If necessary, use a dryer so that there are no traces of moisture.
Tight clothing, especially if it is made of synthetic fabrics, is not convenient. It is best to use loose garments made of natural fabrics, such as cotton. It is also not good to suddenly go from a warm to a cold environment. Healthy eating and good emotional state also contribute to keeping the skin healthy.
Other data of interest
There are other measures that are highly recommended, especially if you frequently experience skin irritation. These measures are the following:
- Soothing and moisturizing mask : it is convenient to apply it twice a week. Much better if it is made with natural products.
- Deodorants and perfumes : they must be suitable for sensitive skin.
- Thermal water: Thermal water is very effective in combating skin irritation.
- Use of sunscreen : it is essential; it is best to be medicated.